We have done many things to make a smaller footprint & live healthier. Here is a list of things we still need to work on:
1. Put stove & microwave on power strips.
2. Put bedroom TV on power strip.
3. Eat more raw "living" foods.
4. Buy more bulk foods & eliminate plastic packaging.
5. Learn to sew insulated window quilts.
6. Grow micro greens indoors in the cold months.
7. Change all bathroom lights to compact flourescents.
8. Learn to make soap.
9. Learn to make shaving cream.
10. Cancel the cable & use internet TV like Hulu.com
Things we have already implemented:
1. Most lights have compact flourescents.
2. We recycle everything we possibly can.
3. Use battery alarm clocks in bedroom.
4. No cordless phones or cell phones in the bedroom.(the last two are to eliminate low-level electromagnetic waves)
5. Hang clothes to dry.
6. Shop at thrift stores for clothes.
7. Vegetarian diet.
8. Grow much of our food.
9. Instead of throwing away things we've printed & are done with, use the back side of the paper.
10. Refill ink cartridges. (black seems to work better than the color cartridges)
11. Freecycle to give & receive, Craigslist to buy used items.
12. Put in a low-flow shower head. At the farm we have one that you can turn off the flow while soaping up for even more savings.
13. Unplug the electric toothbrush until it needs charging. It only takes an hour to charge. Why waste electricity having it plugged in all the time.
14. Make our own toothpaste, deodorant, laundry detergent, shampoo.
These are just partial lists. I'm sure I'll think of more later!