Sunday, June 10, 2012

Planting, Watering, Harvesting & Weeding

Letting Ron know I'm ready to go.
Concentrating on getting the trees into the shute.
The tree is placed in between the blades which are holding the soil apart. In this pic, the ground is already closing around the tree as the planter moves along. As soon as one goes by, another is planted.
What the ground looks like after the tree planter is done. There are hazelnut trees there. Just hard to see.
Ron was the tractor driver.
It has been a busy week! The tree planting went well. We planted over 700 trees in one day. I didn't know until that morning that I would be doing the planting. :-). Mark had another job to go to, so he left me & Ron ( an intern at his farm) to do it ourselves. It ended up to be fun (except for almost tipping over when we hit a rock). The pasture area is now a tree grove. It is very hard to see the trees & will be until they start to leaf out more. I do know each one up close & personal though after watering them for two days! I have been hoping for rain since then & it looks like we will get storms tonight sometime. I really don't want to water them again. We bought a 35 gallon water tank that fits in the utility trailer we pull around with the lawn tractor. I wish I would have counted the number of times I filled it up. Oh, and don't ever go down an uneven steep hill pulling a 35 gallon water tank in a trailer. Water shifts...remember that. I know I always will. So the tongue of the trailer is a little bent & the side of it a little dented up...I was able to right the trailer, drain the tank & lift it back into the trailer & start over. Could have been worse. The tongue might not have twisted & the tractor would have gone over with it.
What we've been harvesting...
Strawberries...43 pounds plus a full five gallon bucket that I didn't weigh.
Garlic scapes...20 pounds so far.
Nanking cherries... started picking tonight...6 1/2 pounds from one tree.
Raspberries...about a cup full. Just starting.
Lettuce...came up as volunteers from last years' plants going to seed.
Garlic...a few small stragglers not in the rows, probably put there by the chickens.

Weeding....new front garden is weeded. Unfortunately the potato bugs have found the new garden.  We picked some off yesterday & about 10 more today. There were over one hundred batches of eggs on the leaves this morning & there were at least 15-25 eggs in each batch. I mashed all of them I could see. Last year they were vicious. I plan on keeping them under control this year :-).
Back garden is weeded now and the original hazelnut grove is also done.
Vacation to Minnesota is coming up fast. I hope to keep the weeds under control as much as possible until then. It is usually a weedy mess when we get back, so I will look at it as much as possible now. :-)
I have begun to realize that I am not so interested in marketing my garlic as I am growing it. It is the least enjoyable part of farming so far. Still trying to work on the website after working outside all day until dark. Need to learn more about getting the website "out there" so people find it when they do a search. Oh well.  I sound whiny :-( Time to buck up & get er done.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine planting 700 trees, but that machine must have saved TONS of time!! Will you sell them when they are bigger? I love hazlenut anything!! Especially coffee creamer!! Can you spray for the potato bugs? or do you not want to do that. Weeding is such a hideous job!! So nice hearing from you. So glad your back...debbie

Barb said...

Hi Debbie...thanks! I will try to post more. :-) Hope you are enjoying your new puppy....so cute!
The trees will start producing in 4-5 years & we hope to sell the nuts.
I don't spray, so picking off & squishing is the other option. Yuck, but it works.

Lois Evensen said...

I always wondered how all those trees lined up in such perfect rows. ;) Seriously, it was a very interesting post for me. :) Thanks for sharing.