Sunday, November 21, 2010

Still Hanging in There

It's been a long week. Today is the first day I've felt like myself. Steve now has a sinus headache, so we figure he's behind me by a couple days. It wasn't too hard of a decision to stay home from the farm this weekend. As much as we love to be there, driving four hours each way didn't seem like a good idea with sore throats, chills,  runny noses & sinus headaches. It has been so long since we've been sick that we forgot what it was like to get the flu. I slept as much as I could all week & Steve has been doing that this weekend. He did convince me to wake up for a while & go to Restore, a  40,000 sq. ft. building materials reuse center benefiting Habitat for Humanity on Saturday. We went looking for three doors for the inside of the barn. Didn't get lucky this time. On the way back home, we stopped at Fruitful Yield (a health food store) and ran into two women that I used to have classes with. One is the manager of the store & the other is a doctor now. It was really good to see them. I did have this feeling of sadness afterword, though. All the plans of graduating & opening up a practice up at the farm came back as I looked over the pamphlet about her practice. It is still really hard to face the fact that my dreams of being a naturopathic doctor will not be realized. If any good can come out of having PTSD, it's that my mind lets things go fairly quickly. ( I am being sarcastic.) When I think about losing such an important part of my life, I start to cry, but then other things pop into my brain. This was one of the main reasons I started to write this blog. Keeping focused is a good brain exercise for me.
Today I woke up without a sinus headache, so I felt 95% better than before. After breakfast, I went to the grocery store while Steve went down for his morning nap :-). Later this afternoon, we went to the shop & Steve finished up spraying finish on a job for tomorrow while I worked on the snowman bench pieces. That's about it. So thankful for hulu.com. We don't have TV, so watching Hulu was our entertainment while laying around.
I almost forgot...Steve did his deposition on Thursday. It lasted a couple hours. I stayed home & slept. No hard, probing questions. Nothing he didn't expect. He figures they are saving that for my deposition since I have more injuries.
Tonight is the blue moon. It's pretty mild temp-wise (53 degrees now)  but it will be dropping tomorrow night to 23. Thanksgiving might reach 32 degrees during the day.
 Hope everyone had a much more fun weekend than we did. What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

10 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

It's good that you're working your way through that cold. Hopefully, you'll be finished with the worst part by Thanksgiving.

We'll be with family for the holiday which will be wonderful. We are looking forward to it. :)

Barb said...

Thanks Lois. We hope to be able to taste the dinner :-)
Have a great time on Thanksgiving!

Judy said...

We've had colds over here but nothing like you guys are having. I'm glad you're on the mend. We are having the kids and grandkids here, at least most of them anyway. It's going to be a bit crowded but that's okay we'll manage and have lots of fun.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Barb said...

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

Nancy said...

So glad you and your hubby are on the mend. Being sick is no fun!!

We are going to my sister's house about 50 miles south from us. Looking forward to the turkey and pumpkin pie, for sure! ;)

Anonymous said...

Great that Your colds is loosing their grips on You now. I´m much better now too, but I still feel very tired. But I´ve been through worse :-)

It is sad when dreams doesn´t come true! But when one thing is closed a new one opens up. I remember how I felt when I had to close my gardencentre/nursery, wasn´t fun at all but other things will come and take its place in my mind and life :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Barb said...

Hi Nancy..thanks & hope you have fun at your sister's house.

Barb said...

Hi Christer...glad you are feeling better. Hope the tiredness leaves soon. You have a great attitude about life. I am also thinking that there must be something else in the plans for me in life besides being a doctor.

angie said...

Glad you are feeling better. Happy Thanksgiving!

Barb said...

Happy Thanksgiving Angie!