Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Autumn Fruit Jam

I have to tell you, home is much more boring than the farm. I am sitting here thinking of all the things I could be doing if I were there. Last night we had fun though, at the monthly ski club meeting that we haven't been to for a long time. It was good to catch up with friends, especially Pat from Not Now....I'm Counting! blog. We are planning a whole day of resale shop shopping next week. That will be great! Also a possible knitting & canning weekend at the farm. We also talked to our friend Larry who visited the farm last summer with his brother-in-laws on their motorcycles. We have the same views on politics so we had a great conversation about the elections today.

Seems like every week & a half or so the temperature drops another 10 degrees during the day. Soon the snow will be flying. I really have to get busy making Christmas presents! I have ideas, so at least that is done. We are also trying to coordinate the family Christmas this year. Usually the kids spent Christmas morning with us, but this year will be different. Kristin & Tim would like to spend their first Christmas with Jaelyn at home which would mean a little bit more of a relaxing time for them. That's all good. We now need to plan something a little before Christmas. I have some ideas. We just have to get it all together soon. And I need to get busy on the presents:-). Maybe next year we can have it at the farm :-)

So I promised you more recipes last week. I made Autumn Fruit Jam. Jam is a little misleading though. It is more like a preserve. Bigger chunks of fruit, instead of mashed. It is really good though. I had a half pint that I saved for us & it is gone. (I ate most of it right away :-). It would be so good over some ice cream or frozen yogurt. I found the recipe in one of my favorite canning books Small Batch Preserving by Ellie & Margaret Howard. Here it is...

AUTUMN FRUIT JAM
5 plums, sliced
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 medium pears, peeled, cored and chopped

1 cup water
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. each: ground cinnamon and ginger

1. Combine plums, apples, pears, water, rind & lemon juice in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes or until fruit is softened.
2. Add sugar to fruit & return to boil, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Boil rapidly, uncovered, until moxture will form a gel, about 3o minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon & ginger.
3. Ladle into sterilized jars within a half inch from top and process for 5 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Makes four cups.

Not sure if you realize how I do my canning at the farm. Have you ever used a campstove? That is what I use. I did buy a larger version (see below) and set it up in the basement, but used the small one upstairs instead. Soon we will have a normal kitchen at the farm, but hey, if there is a will there's a way. (Boy, I sound old.)

This is the Autumn Fruit Jam cooking on the small campstove.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I know what you mean about wanting to live on your farm. We went through that a few years ago when we gutted the old farmhouse we now live in -- it took six months before we could move in. Seemed like an eternity.

The jam looks delicious. Interesting way to prepare it on the camping stove. You are an inspiration! :)

Barb said...

It's been 3 1/2 years for us. We have been talking about it....I might be moving there in the spring.

Anonymous said...

All my fruit got destroyed by insects this year. I did get some raspberries and black currants, but that´s all.

How long will it take until You can move to the farm for good? I know how You must feel right now when being at home :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.

PatQ said...

It was great seeing you too and I can't wait until Monday. The jam looks wonderful.

angie said...

Hi Barb,

Yeah, I get this too. We've owned our farm for 4 years and we are still a year and a half (best scenario) from moving. Oh well - then we will really appreciate it, right?

We're thinking about getting one of those cookstoves - you like it? Any pros or cons?

Barb said...

Christer...I'm not sure about how long. I might go in the spring. That is bad about all your fruit. I hope next year is better.
Angie...I haven't used the big stove yet since I managed to do it all on the small one. I'll post about it if I do use it soon though. We will really appreciate our farms :-)