Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Little Under the Weather

It is a cloudy, foggy fall day here. The first day it has really felt like fall to me this year.  The last few days I've had a sore throat which is now easing but congestion is making it's way up to my head. Hope this is over soon. I can't even remember the last time I was sick. It's had to have been at least 5 years ago or more. We haven't been exercising at all lately, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Steve is feeling sick now, too. I'll try to catch up with what we've been up to before the colds took hold.
Last Thursday, my friend Pat & I took the day & went resale store shopping. It was so much fun! We went to six places, five of which we had never been before. We also stopped at Little Traveler in Geneva so Pat could pick up some dishes & I found a doll for Jaelyn.  The first stop of the resale shops was Goodwill. I go there once every couple weeks to look for wool sweaters for felting but I couldn't believe what I found. It was a Fiestaware pitcher in yellow for $1.99 minus a 15% discount for Veteran's Day. It's so funny because that morning, I picked up my first Fiestaware from a lady I found selling it on Craigslist. I love the colors & want to mix & match them for our farm dishes. The pieces I got from Craigslist are pretty old. Not sure if I will use them. Maybe just display them.
Large pitcher is from Goodwill. Other pieces are from Craiglist.
At a different shop, I found a tea pot with a wooden lid and handle. It is very heavy duty, so it should hold the heat well.
I always find such nice things at garage sales, Craigslist or Goodwill. My daughter Kristin says how hard it will be for me to move away from this area because I probably won't be able to find all these great buys in Viroqua since it is a smaller town and not as affluent. That's ok. Maybe when I move up there, I'll decide to purge all my "stuff" and live a more simple, uncluttered life :-)
 Back to shopping...we stopped and ate lunch at the Moveable Feast. We've ate there before, but this is the first time I've had their Fairy Cookies. Thanks Pat for turning me on to them :-). If you are ever in Geneva, go there & try these cookies. And have a few Deeply Fudgey Brownies. After all, Oprah loves them. Just writing about those cookies, makes me want to get in my car (by the way, we bought a "new to me" Subaru Outback yesterday) and go get some. Steve should try them after all. It might make him feel better :-)
The "new" car.

We also had an appointment at our lawyer's yesterday to prepare us for the deposition tomorrow. Almost 2 1/2 years since the accident and we are finally making some progress. We were both supposed to be deposed tomorrow, but while we were there, the opposing lawyer called & said there would only be time for one of us. So Steve is going to do his. I get to sit in on it so I can see what it is like. Then I'll be more prepared for mine. Hope mine is soon. I would like to get this over with.

Last weekend we went to my daughter Kristin's to watch Jaelyn while she worked & Tim was out of town. It was so much fun! I will do a separate post about that...

We have started on Christmas presents for the kids. We are making snowman benches for their front porches along with a felted wool stocking for Jaelyn & hopefully some other things. Shane is asking for curtains and bench cushion covers for his Scamp trailer, so I will be getting measurements for that soon.


That white line is a fold mark on the pic. I will post a pic when they are done.

I really need to get busy!
In other news, my niece Trisha had her drawing for the cake plate over at her blog Roundabout. Nancy from A Rural Journal won. Congrats!
Hmmm....thinking about going to Moveable Feast to pick up some carryout & cookies...
Have a great night!

11 comments:

Nancy said...

I was complaining the other day how I never win anything -- I guess I can stop saying that now. :)

Sorry you and your hubby are not feeling well. Get better soon!

And the Fiestaware thrift scores, all I can say is awesome! So pretty and I love the color.

LBB said...

You know how much I love that Goodwill!!! Great find!! I always find something great that I wasn't even looking for. I'll keep my eye out for more pieces for you.

Judy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't believe you're from Illinois and live in Southwest Wisconsin part-time. I noticed you mentioned Viroqua, we don't live far from there. When we moved here we decided to try and live a more simpler life. I'm sorry your not feeling well. It sounds like what has been going on around our home.

Anonymous said...

I do like the yellow pitcher and the tea pot is just great! I almost never find anything over here :-)

Your new car looks good!

I hope you get free from Your colds real soon, mine is slowly loosing its grip on me now :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your not feeling well, hope that changes real soon! I love the color of your new car! They go great in the snow! The bright yellow Fiestaware is really nice! I love all the different colors they have nowdays. You are a great shopper!! Am glad your finally getting start on your depositions. I sure hope you win your case. I love, LOVE, LOVE, your snowman benches!!!! how adorable!! Gee, I'll take one of those!! What GREAT Christmas gifties!! ...debbie

angie said...

Hi Barb,

Love the car!

Don't worry about Goodwill and garage sales when you move - SW Wisc is the garage sale capital of the world! I find great stuff at garage sales - and at the antique stores too.

Barb said...

Nancy...thanks about feeling better & the Fiestaware.
Trisha...yes, yes...if you see any Fiestaware, grab it for me :-)
Hi Judy...glad you stopped by to read & thanks for the well-wishes.
Christer...I'm glad you are feeling better...I hope we start to soon.
Thanks Debbie...I love making Christmas gifts. I made a Santa bench a few years ago for us & the kids loved that.
Hi Angie...that is good to know. I won't be having withdrawals then :-)

PatQ said...

Oh, I'm so glad you decided to go with the Subaru. I think it's a good choice for you in Wisc. Hope you and Steve feel better soon. Loved spending the day with you.

Lois Evensen said...

I'm glad I came upon your blog through another follower of mine. What wonderful thrift finds you have found! Sorry you are ill. That sure is going around. As soon as the kids go back to school they pass it around and bring it home to share with siblings, parents, and grand parents.

aiza@ subarucar said...

Wishing you and your husband to get well. great post!Asheville prestige Subaru car

OurWanderingAdventures said...

Great finds! I love Geneva, it's where I was raised and my parents still live! We are up in Northern Illinois now, but still visit my parents often!!!