Thursday, October 21, 2010

Potato Leek Soup...in a Crock Pot

So many potatoes...so many leeks. I truly needed to find a easy recipe for using them & here it is.
Potato leek soup in a crock pot. This is so easy & so good! I found the recipe here on the A Year of Slow Cooking blog. I will be investigating more of her recipes soon.

3 large leeks, cleaned and diced , using the white part only
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 pound brown potatoes
5 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup heavy cream (optional)

Peel the potatoes and chop everything up and toss it in with the broth and the spices.
If using the heavy cream,  don't add that until cooking is complete.
Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for about 4.
When the potatoes and onion are fully cooked and soft, use an immersible blender to soupify.
If you don't have an immersible blender, blend in small batches carefully in your traditional blender.
Stir in heavy cream, if desired.

I did add the cream. Steve & I each ate two bowls full with some fresh crusty bread. A great fall meal.


6 comments:

Edain said...

Ooo...that sounds lovely, I must try it. Thanks for sharing! :)

SkippyMom said...

My kids refuse to eat potato soup - it is the only thing they don't like that their Dad and I love.

Well I hope that bowl of cereal does it for them on the night I make this for me and Pooldad. heehee

Anonymous said...

oooooooo - yummy. I'm going to try that, but I'm not going to blend it because I like chunky as opposed to smoothe. Thanks for the recipe!...debbie

Jenna Gayle said...

Sounds delish! I'm starting to get the urge for soups myself :)

Nancy said...

We have loads of potatoes this year and this would be a great recipe to use some of them. Ilove potato soup, especially on a cold winter day. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Finding joy said...

I cannot wait to try this recipe! I love this soup