Sunday, April 19, 2009

Winding Down

It's been a few days since the last post. It ended up to be a much needed break for me. The writing class I'm taking is occupying a lot of brain space right now.

It's been a fun weekend at the farm. We've visited with many neighbors. The weather was nice until today. It's misty with rain and chilly but that just gives a reason to crank up the wood stove.

We have a new baby in the neighborhood. Here she is...

Isn't she the cutest Scottish Highlander you've ever seen? Here is a pic of her mama...
That was the highlight of the day on Saturday. We had a busy day planting trees and having the garden tilled by our neighbor. The trees we planted are ten sugar maples, 10 dogwood, 3 sumac and two forsythia. With this planting we are going for some color in the landscape. The big red barn will look much nicer with beautiful leaf and flower colors around it. We also have blackberry and raspberry bushes to plant but the bed isn't ready yet so we heeled them into the garden. This week Eli said he will plow my new garden area (and the berry bush area) with the horses and neighbor Jim will come back to till after that. I also have seventy-five strawberry plants to get into the ground this week and twenty-five apple trees to graft. I still have another twenty-five strawberry plants on back order and trees coming from the Arbor Day Foundation. Oh yea, and then there's the hazelnut bushes. All one-hundred of them. They should be here by the end of the month. We are hiring someone to plant them (I hope :-)

With the change in the weather today, we stayed inside and finished taking down the USB board in the new living area. Steve also started tuning up the lawn tractor.

So with all this going on this weekend, as happy as being outside and talking to neighbors has made us, there is still the undertone of the CAFO. Such a big "what if". Tuesday is the day of meetings. First one at 9:30 am for the township and one at night for the county where they will vote on the Environmental Impact Statement. I will be at both. Taking notes. Hoping for the best.

Now I must write three assignments for class.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest little calf I ever saw! All curly with shaggy hair!!And his mother!!wow!She is beautiful! I don't believe I've ever seen something like that. Sounds like you two have busy planting. I love sugar maples. We planted a HUGE Red Maple 2 years ago. It's beautiful in the fall. Glad you had such a great weekend. Good luck on your writing homework...debbie

SkippyMom said...

My thoughts are with you at the meetings. Give'em heck!

Sue said...

Ah, Midwest Living!!! Endlessly long winter, then BAM....too much to do all at once. Well, just remember all the bounty you'll be getting from all those fruits. Happy Planting! :)

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

What a cute little calf! I´ve never seen them so light in colour before. The farmers around me also has a lot of new calves running around on the fields now and more is comming :-)

Wonderful trees You are planting! None of them can live here at my place, but the forsythia. Even the hazelnut has problems here. But with the climat change who knows :-)
Keep us informed about the meetings!
Christer.

Rabbit Hill Farm said...

You must e a super woman. I get exhausted (and extremely jealous) when I read about all the wonderful planting you guys are doing!
M

ChristyACB said...

Oh gosh, where to start in my questions?

The calf is a sugarface! And her mom, splendid. What do they use her for..good milker, meat?

That is a bugload of trees! How much space will all that occupy?

It is sometimes hard to imagine spatially all that you are doing and putting in. Do you have a diagram of your place, by chance that you wouldn't mind sharing so we can all see how this fits?

Barb said...

Hi Debbie...red maples might be next years planting. thanks for the wish of luck on homework...still haven't done it.

Thanks SkippyMom, I will!

Sue...I just looked at the forecast...snow showers tonight. Yuck!

Christer...I will write about the meetings, hopefully it will be some good news.

M...I'm really not a super woman
:-). Just have a lot to do & hoping for the best!

Christy...she will be used for breeding like her mom. Actually, he is going to sell her at about a year old :-(
Hazelnut trees should be planted at least 8 feet apart with 15 feet between rows. We will walk it off & flag it for swales this week. We think 3 to 4 rows near the orchard area. I have thought about doing a better sketch of the property than I have now. I'll post it when I have a chance to draw it. Thanks for asking!

Zan Asha said...

Sorry Deb, I have to agree--you are supewoman! I'm exhausted just reading about all you are doing!

Bravo--I envy I don't have the space for all you are planting!

Ahh, Scottish Highlander cows! I loved them...there is a guy upstate that has them--mostly for conservancy but they Do have the sweetest looking calves--and the best hairdos!!

Barb said...

Zan Asha...well, we'll see how much I end up getting done :-)