Monday, November 17, 2008

The Cedar Chest

This weekend our daughter & her husband came to visit for a few hours. I had the cedar chest ready for them to pick up. It belonged to my grandma on my mom's side. Grandma as a childGrandma in the Roaring 20's

I've had it for years & stored all things special to me in it. Things like hospital pictures of the kids, my grade school pictures, high school chorus & band programs I was in, the dolls I had as a child & a lot more. I decided earlier this year that I wanted Kristin to have it. It felt right, passing down the cedar chest. Now she can put all her "special things" in it plus the few things I passed on to her. The flannel jacket & matching bonnet with rosebuds on it that both she & I wore home from the hospital at birth, her baby book, pictures she'd colored, notes she wrote in grade school and the baptism dress we both wore as babies.

Here they are posing with her great-grandma's cedar chest.
This weekend, I also picked up my mom's cedar chest. She is living in an assisted living community now & has no place for it. The cycle continues...

No comments: