Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm Back

I really took a vacation from posting this time! Not intentionally, though. We have been so busy with making gifts that I just haven't had the time. On Sunday, we had our Christmas celebration with the kids. This was to allow Kristin, Tim & Jaelyn to spend Christmas morning with Jaelyn at their own house. It really was a great way to do it considering it didn't matter to us what day we celebrate the holiday, just that we could be together at some point. We do have one more celebration at my brother's house on Christmas Eve and then we will leave for the farm Christmas morning. We have Monday off, so it will be like a normal weekend.
Rob, Amy, Steve, Tim, Jaelyn, Kristin, Shane & Joe (Steve's dad), eating delicious food that Amy & Rob made.
 It was a great time at Amy & Rob's. The food was so good. Every time we eat there, I want the recipes they use. After eating, we opened the gifts. If you have read any previous posts, you know that Steve & I were making snowman benches for gifts. Steve cut out the straight pieces and painted them  & I cut out the snowmen & painted them. Then he put it all together. Here is a pic of the finished benches...
Jaelyn sitting on the bench

After the benches were made, we launched into making the rest of the gifts. This is what Steve made...
Rob plays the guitar, so he really liked cutting board.
This is for Tim's sports equipment. It will hold three basketballs on top plus misc stuff on the shelf.

 Next, I'll show you what I made...
Jaelyn's stocking made from repurposed felted wool sweaters & the lining is from her daddy's old suit jacket.
These are Shane's curtains for his Scamp trailer.

Bears throw
Laptop sleeve out of repurposed sweaters & leather jacket
Purse ( I forgot to take a picture of it finished :-( ) made out of repurposed a sweater then lined with a cotton fabric & new bamboo purse handle.
"Minky" blanket for Jaelyn
Wool gingerbread person for Jaelyn



Four pairs of fingerless gloves made out of repurposed wool sweaters. (forgot to take a pic of the fourth)
Felt food. Eggs, pancakes, syrup & butter for Jaelyn.

We also gave knitted washcloths & raspberry jam. There is one more gift for my nieces that they haven't been given yet, so I'll post that after Christmas.
I have been reading all my favorite blogs, but hardly ever commenting on them lately. Now things should get back to normal so I have more time to relax.
I really enjoyed making all the gifts. Have you made gifts this year? If so, what are you making?
There are other things going on too. I'll try to post about that later this week...

9 comments:

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

And I thought I was busy! Wow! You made a lot of cool gifts! Excellent!

Lynn said...

You have been busy with such clever and unusual gifts. I love benches; they are just too, too cute.

Merry Christmas.

SkippyMom said...

I am just blown away. The talent runs through your family, doesn't it!

Wow!

I collect snowmen and I swear my chin fell when I saw those benches. AMAZING! Just amazing.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Nancy said...

Welcome back! We missed you. :)

I love the fingerless mittens you made from the sweaters. I am going to do this (since I don't knit.)

Wonderful gifts -- you and Steve are so talented.

Happy Holidays!

Judy said...

I love the fingerless gloves. I made mittens out of sweaters for some of the grand kids. Merry Christmas!

Barb said...

Thanks! I'll pass on the comments to Steve :-)
I am looking forward to relaxing a little.

LBB said...

I LOVE that felt lap top case!!! I also LOVE my new felt gloves...thank you!

Anonymous said...

What a great gathering!! Merry Christmas!! Have a wonderful Holiday!!! ...debbie HO HO HO!!

the wild magnolia said...

Lovely family gathering!

I am so impressed with the wonderful handmade Christmas gifts! Good job.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.