Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A New Addition to the Farm


I made this video for my great-nieces, Addy & Noelle. We went to Garfield Farm in Geneva, IL on Sunday for the Heritage Breed Show. Trisha (who you can find blogging here) brought them to see all the rare breeds of farm animals at the show. Of course, we couldn't go home empty handed. So we have seven new chickens! Hopefully, six are hens & we know one (the month or so older one) is a rooster. If you watch the video, you'll know the names we picked out are as follows....Bob (or Bubbles, his nickname) is the rooster. Then there is Henrietta, Hannah, Callie, Phoebe, Wilma & Betty. They are all Javas and were hatched at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Here is a little more about the breeding program. It is a possibility that I will need to get more hens if we have a more than one rooster and have to give them away.  I just love watching them. Bubbles & Phoebe are eating out of my hand now & I am picking them all up to get them used to being handled. Steve mentioned getting some ducks so I need to research that, too. And of course, alpacas are still in the future (maybe this summer). I guess you could call us farmers now that we have poultry.
A far as the garden goes, it has been a cool spring, so not much is planted. I did get most of the potatoes in. Today I mowed, which takes a long time, and it is very cool & windy tonight. Rain is coming for tomorrow, but Thursday & Friday look like nice days.We did plant six grapes last week that the neighbors gave us. Love that we have lots of fruiting bushes & trees growing. We are hoping for some apples, cherries & pears from the orchard this year too.
Well, enough for now. It is 8pm and I haven't ate dinner yet.
Have a great week!

8 comments:

OurWanderingAdventures said...

What fun! Yay for the chickens too!
We love Garfield. I am from Geneva and my parents are still there too.

Barb said...

It was my first time there. I will probably go back every year now. Lucky you live so close!

LBB said...

LOVE your video! We had such a great time :) Can't wait to see them grow!! I'm sure we'll be watching this 100 x's! (play it again mom!!)

Barb said...

So glad you liked it! I will be keeping you updated about their progress. After all, next year you might want some chicks too!

Anonymous said...

What a great Video! Am going to show Madison today when she comes after school. She'll enjoy it too. She broght a book here last week titled "Baby Farm Animals". Loved the music too! I had day old mallard ducks that I raised and they grow so fast you can almost watch them grow! It'll be fun! So nice to see Shep in the house with his tail wagging!! yea!...debbie

PatQ said...

How fun. I love little chicks and it looks like Shep does too.

Barb said...

Yes, Shep is a happy boy when he is around. He now knows the command "lay" & we are working on "stay".

angie said...

Barb! You got chickens!!! (I considered going to that heritage breed fair but we have decided no more fairs, seminars, etc this year.) We need to get a barn and a place to live first.