Monday, November 23, 2009

Hand-stitched Wool Dryer Balls


What do I do in my spare time? Which is usually only on the trip to Wisconsin every weekend :-)

I have been making wool dryer balls. I love these things. Besides being fun to play with, they are a great addition to your laundry room. Here is a list of things they do...

1. Save you money by cutting down on your drying times. You can possibly cut 25-30% off the time it takes you to dry a load of laundry. Another savings is not having to buy toxic dryer sheets. (See below for list of ingredients.)

2. Eliminate the static

3. Soften your clothes

4. Keep the kids entertained. Yes, they are a great toy.

Things they don't do...

1. Coat the lint screen. I never knew dryer sheets did this until I did a little research. That can make drying times longer, burn out the heating element & be a fire hazard.

2. Pollute the air, inside & out. See info below...

3. Fold your laundry. Sorry :-)

List of just some of the chemicals found in fabric softeners and dryer sheets

Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer

Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant

Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders

Limonene: Known carcinogen

A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage

Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list

Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders

Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic

Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders

Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled

Fabric softeners stay in your clothing for long periods of time. The chemicals chemicals are slowly released either into the air for you to inhale or onto your skin for you to absorb. Dryer sheets are particularly noxious because they are heated in the dryer & the chemicals are released through dryer vents & out into the environment. Health effects from being exposed to the chemicals in fabric softeners include:

Central nervous system disorders

Headaches

Nausea

Vomiting

Dizziness

Blood pressure reduction

Irritation to skin, mucus membranes and respiratory tract

Pancreatic cancer

So, do you still want to throw those little sheets in your dryer? If not, check out the little ad in the side bar and try some out. I have lots of happy customers so far. And...besides being environmentally friendly, they are post traumatic stress disorder friendly. This is what keeps me busy while Steve is driving. Very effective!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

Scary about the dryer sheets. I heard they were toxic, but WOW. How can they even manufacture something like that????

Carol............. said...

Thanks for all the information...scary, huh?

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I´ve never had a dryer, mostly I hang the clothes outside to dry, but that can take its time now during winter :-) :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

PatQ said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I've been using mine and I love them. The reason I love them most is when I wash sheets and comforters they usually twist up and the inside is still wet. I haven't had that problem since I've been using my dryer balls. Thanks again.

Barb said...

Your welcome Pat!

Anonymous said...

What do you put inside the balls? Just curious! :)

Barb said...

The core of the ball is a ball of yarn. thanks for asking :-)

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

How inspiring! I think dryer sheets should be illegal. The houses in my neighborhood are pretty close together, and often the whole place reeks of the nasty things!

Unknown said...

Very good work! These wool dryer balls looks amazing!